directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Documentation] Partition Suffix Documentation Update
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 07:14:54 GMT
Ole Ersoy a écrit :

> I'm going through the documentation right now:
>
> This section:
>
> Adding Own Partition Suffix Documentation
> Here:
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/14-basic-configuration-tasks.html#1.4.Basicconfigurationtasks-Addingyourownpartition%2528suffix%2529

> says the following in the beginning:
>
> In ApacheDS entries are stored in partitions, each partition contains
> a complete entry tree. Multiple partitions may exist, the entry trees
> they contain are disconnected to each other.
>
> Should it be stated like this?

I think this sentence is clear.

> In ApacheDS a set of entries
> forming a directory tree
> is contained in partition.
> The root of the directory tree is the partition.

No. A partition is not the root of a directory tree. A partition is like
a mounted file system : it has a name, which is the suffix, but it
describe all the entries it contains. By extension, when we are talking
about "partition x=y", that means "the partition which suffix is x=y".

> ApacheDS comes with 3 partitions (Also referred to as partition
> suffixes) by default:
> cn=schema
> ou=system
> dc=example, dc=org

That's correct (and I think we can add it in 1.5 doco : 1.0 does not
have a cn=schema partition)

> I'll be glad to update these, just point me to the source.

Just click on the top right little grey icon of each page on the web
site, you will gain access to the edit page. If ypu can't do that, then
we can add you to the list of people allowed to update the
documentation. Just tell us.

Emmanuel