Hi David,

On Mar 21, 2007, at 7:33 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> I would add that we could follow more or less the process described
> in http://cocoon.apache.org/devinfo/releasing.html
> This seems to be pretty reasonable. Tagging the trunk is not really
> complicated.
> wdyt ?

I think that's pretty much completely unreasonable for a project
built with maven.

IIUC the process incubator projects seem to be gravitating towards
goes something like this:

1. everyone agrees informally that it's time for a release and
someone is selected as release manager.

2. jiras, code, docs etc are cleaned up

3. mvn release is used to tag svn and push proposed artifacts to a
staging location, normally the release managers' space on

4. Everyone goes over the proposed artifacts with a fine toothed comb
checking the legal requirements and whether they actually work (in
order of importance :-)

5. The vote occurs on the proposed binary artifacts + the svn tag.

- if the vote passes, the tag remains and the artifacts are moved to
the apache maven repo (using the appropriate maven goal which I don't
- if the vote fails (usually because a jar is missing LICENSE and/or
NOTICE files) the tag is removed, the build number is incremented,
and everyone goes back to step 2.
What is the build number that you are referring to? You mean the version used for the maven artifacts?

I actually like this process.
Yes I like this process too.