On 3/15/07, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Someone suggested a symlink from /www to ~jefft. Would that actually
>> work?
>
> No.  The content would not get properly rsynced to the live site or to
> backup-sites.
>
> I don't understand what is the big deal about just copying it to the
> correct place.

The big deal is that to set up an rsync you need to do that in a user's
crontab. That ties control of the process down to a single user, which
is far from preferable.

Yes I would have to agree with Upayavira here.  It's not a good idea to depend on a single user account for this.  Plus that person must be hunted down and contacted any time there needs to be some modification done.

The fact that we now have /x1/www/confluence-exports sorts half of the
picture. If symlinks work, that sorts the other half.

Reasonable?

+1

Alex