David,

If memory serves me correctly then this was to enable custom schema partitions
without the need to install a partition to the deployed ApacheDS distributed with an
embedding application.

I think this is useful stuff sure.  If you want to make sure it works just run all the
integration tests with a mvn -Dintegration test at the top of the apacheds project.

HTH,
Alex