directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Benchmarks feedback
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:10:41 GMT
Hi Matt,

I wasn't sure you subscribed, sorry for the duplicated mails :(

> I subscribed to your list so you won't have to copy me.
>
> I'd do a couple of things.  The system is Hyperthreaded so you have
> "16" CPUs.  I'll reboot the system and go back to 8 real cores just
> to make sure hyperthreading isn't a cause.  I'll do that tonight if
> no one is on the system.

Ok, np. I don't exactly know what 'tonite' means in UTC, FYI, I'm UTC + 2.
(this mail has been sent at 09h05UTC)
I'm not sure that HyperThreading could be the cause of bad performance I'm
having...

Next, I've used the IBM VM for this kind of analysis as it has a Java
> Lock monitor built in that will help to identify hot locks that might
> be causing the scaling problem.

I will install IBM JVM today. I have tested the server with IBM, SUN and BEA
jvms last year, and it was my intention to do so.

The next thing we can do is I have a hardware profiler on the system
> that is similar to VTune that is most excellent at tracking CPU, time
> in method, etc.  I need to recompile the kernel so this will take a
> few days.

Oh, that would be great ! I feel like been totally blind when doing perf
tests, just guessing about what could be the bottlenecks...

So if you want to take this baby for another spin around the block,
> let me know.  I'll get some instructions on setting up the lock monitor.

Yeah, sure. I'm working full time on ADS for a little while, so anytime you
want will be ok for me.

Nice to know my basement is getting warmed for good reason :)

yeah, I'm not sure it helps figth against global warming...At least, it's
not using gazoline to run !

Matt

--
Cordialement,