directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [Integration tests] How to speed up the tests
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:09:08 GMT
Hi,

with the new schema handling system (the schema is now stored as Ldap
entries in the server, and loaded at startup), the integration tests are
taking forever (17 mins on my 3GhZ desktop, 13 minutes on my shinny Imac
dual-core).

The reason is that all the schema elements have to be read out of the
server, and as the server is able to manage around 500 req/s (more or less),
each test cost around a second, bare minimum.

As we have around 150 tests in server-unit, this is around 3 minutes to run
integration tests, and we have the double in core-unit, so it's 6 more
minutes.

We have a few options :
1) Improve the server so it can handle 5000 req/s, dividing the tests
duration by ten : yeah, that would be cool, but...
2) Improve the tests to limit the number of server startup and shutdown to
one by test (the setup should contain a test to check if the server has been
started or not before, and add code to feed the server and some other code
to clean the server)
3) Write a new tool which will register all the operations to play them in
revert order when finishing a test
4) any other smart idea, guys ?

--
Cordialement,