directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rebuilding Apache
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:28:06 GMT
Hi Norval, good to see you there :)

On 3/15/07, Norval Hope <nrhope@gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that half of the LDAP
> protocol needed to write such a proxy was left behind in the Twix to
> Snickers migration (hope I got the candy bar names the right way around :-)

atm, we are only using Twix, but we still have two formats for manipulated
objects  (twix and snickers) in the server (we want to remove one of them,
but we don't have time :). FYI those names where taken from Snacc, which was
a "open-source" ASN.1 codec written by IBM, which was not available for
inclusion (thus the " " around open-source). So Snacc -> Snickers, and
Snickers -> Twix.

Seriously, the way ldap messages are handled in the server is the following
:
ldapMessage -> Twix -> transformation from twix to snickers format -> server
for requests
and
ldap responses -> transformation from snickers format to twix format -> twix
encoder -> client for response

In particular my understanding is the current codec handles 1. decoding
> requests and 2. encoding response, but not the two other functions required
> by a proxy (3. decoding responses and 4. encoding requests). Is that right?

Wrong !!! the codec works for *every* requests and *every* response :)  It
is used in LdapStudio and in the server, so it has both side completly
implemented. The sandboxed proxy would not have been working otherwise !

We wrote a prototype proxy years ago with the old protocol provider but
> found we couldn't move it forward, but perhaps we missed something.

I can tell for your proxy, but I can assure you that the sandboxed proxy was
working, and not only with ADS, because I tested it against other Ldap
Servers. And FYI, we will provide a working proxy in Ldaptudio in a few
weeks (it's expected for LS 0.7).

The main concern we have with a LdapProxy is about handling N clients. The
sandboxed proxy does not handle this case... So basically, we will be happy
if someone can work on this aspect :)

Norval

Emmanuel

--