directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Schema] How do I write a new ObjectClass to ApacheDS
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:49:43 GMT
Hi Ole,

> Hey Alex,
>
> Yes - I think we're getting warmer!
>
> Here's the thing.  Suppose I want to store an object that has String
> members
>
> shoeSize
> weight
> height
> name
>
> etc.
>
> I probably have name on some ObjectClass already defined in ApacheDS.
>
> However I still want to duplicate name on a completely different
> ObjectClass.

No problem.  Really it does not matter; you can create a new xyzName
attribute.  Sometimes that's not so bad.  Now I see that you want to
autogenerate a schema from the Class
metadata and creating the attributes for your objectClass with namespace
qualification might
be a good idea.

> The ObjectClass I want has a 1:1 correspondence with the Java Class I
> want to store.
> That way a simple convention can be used to store the object, and no
> configuration file
> or index searching is needed to include a preexisting ObjectClass that
> has the name attribute on it.

Yep I agree (now that I understand your motives more) just create all the
LDAP
metadata you need on the fly to establish the mapping.

> I guess I could create an index with all the LDAP attributeTypes and
> look to see whether a certain attribute
> already exists, and use it, but I think it's simpler just to create a
> brand new ObjectClass.

Nah don't bother.

> Which leads me to another question.
>
> Can ObjectClass names have periods or underscores in them
>
> For Instance there's inetOrgPerson?
>
> Could it be
> inet.org.person?

I think so.

> The reason I ask is because I want to create ObjectClasses on the fly
> that are namespaced.

Gotchya.

SNIP ...
Hope fishing was a blast.  I'm sure you're really glad to out of the
Sun, blue clear water,
and cool breeze environment and  be back in front of a monitor.

Hey I still have a few more days to go :).  It's not over yet.

Regards,
Alex