directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Benchmarks feedback
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:04:24 GMT
On 3/27/07, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

> --On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:05 PM -0400 Matt Hogstrom
> <matt@hogstrom.org> wrote:
>
> > I haven't used SLAMD. I have a C based load generator that is
> > proprietary. If it scales that would be awesome.
>
> Is it a C based load generator that can distribute across clients, similar
> to slamd?  Or is it more like directoryMark?  I'm curious, because the
> problem we've run into in benchmarking OpenLDAP with slamd, is that slamd
> simply can't keep up when one has a highly tuned performant server. :/

 Java based load generators are just fine.  I guess this is a tactic to toot
the OpenLDAP (C) horn
and bash Java while doing it: subtle but apparent.  Even Java clients are
not good
enough I guess :/.

The whole point to load generators is to increase the number of them as
needed to
blast the server with as much load to saturate it.  If one load injector is
not sufficient then
increase the number.  SLAMD does the job nicely.

There's been some interesting in writing (or finding) an alternate LDAP
> testing engine that is C based.  Unfortunately, one that is not
> proprietary
> is of course desired.

One of the advantages to SLAMD is it's simplicity and the fact that it is a
platform.  It's easy to write
quick tests using Java and load them.  If you want to write a C based
platform that's just as easy to use
to do the same thing then be my guest.  However I don't think it's going to
go that far.

Alex