directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Performance] 1.5 versus 1.0
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:59:07 GMT
Emmanuel,

> Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>
> > This is wicked cool ... hurry up and commit the darn BigInteger -> Long
> > replacement :).
>
> Already committed in trunks, two days ago :)

Great!

> > Thanks E!
> > Alex
>
> Wait, this is just nothing... I have played with the
> AttributesSerializer, and the gain is huge : more than 25% speedup
> against the server with Long. So it's around 30% faster than ADS 1.0 :)

You mean the one I wrote a while back?  I did some tests on it and it did
not seem to
be making much difference.  Perhaps I was not measuring things well.
Anyways
this is great news regardless.  I cannot wait until we get to a phase where
we can start
improving on performance again.

The tests I have done this morning with YJP showed that readObject was
> responsible for 55% of all the time spent in the server. Improving the
> serialization of data will result in a massive gain (estimated to a
> speedup to 40%). As the best results we got last year with Ersin 4-cpu
> computer and JRockit JVM went up to 950 request/s, we can expect
> something like 1300 req/s. May be more :) And this will be 10% slower
> than FDS or 15% slower than OpenLdap for this kind of test ... (those
> numbers are *not* official !)

That's incredible.  Also there are lots of optimizations we could do besides
these with
respect to heuristics used in the default partition design.  I think a Java
LDAP server
might one day be just as fast as the C based servers.  At least SUN thinks
so right :).

Alex