directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Site]
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:12:29 GMT
> Hi guys,
>
> I guess this mail is much more targeting Ersin, but may be someone lese can
> help.
>
> Justen Stepka, from Atlassian (ya know, the company which product are just,
> well, incredibly cool) has suggested that we should allow users to add
> comments on the site's pages. This is just smart. Now, the question is : how
> do we do that ?

This is not a new idea. We cannot do that (well under some conditions
may be possible). Because, the site content is actually the
documentation and it's (or it'll be) distributed with the released
products. Components of the released products should all be committed
(or contributed) by people who signed the appropriate Apache license.

This is stated at http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI as:

"Some Spaces are being used to create the Project documentation.
Editing access to such Spaces might be restricted to Project
committers or individuals who have filed a Contributor's License
Agreement with the ASF."

> We currently have this little grey icon on the right top of each page, it
> would be a good idea to add another icon for comments, but more visible. And
> also the same icon at the end of each page. I guess the template must be
> changed. The comments should not be shown entirely on the resultant page,
> but folded, to avoid having giant pages.
>
> If we have those little 'comment' icons on our page will help a lot to
> improve the site : we are 80% not english natives, so the text in those
> pages migth be seen as pidgin to english natives.

We may allow comments, but we should remove them when distributing the
documentation.

> wdyt ?

Of course we should decide on an appropriate solution but it's not that obvious.

--
Ersin