directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Thompson" <Tony.Thomp...@stone-ware.com>
Subject RE: V1.0.1 schema
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:53:40 GMT
On 3/30/07, Tony Thompson <Tony.Thompson@stone-ware.com> wrote:

	In v1.0 and even a 1.0.1 snapshot I had, I had hijacked the
"member" attribute and used it on an "inetorgperson" to track that users
group membership.  Even though technically the schema didn't allow
"member" on an "interorgperson", Apache let me do it anyway.  It looks
like the 1.0.1 final release fixed that hole and it will no longer allow
me to use the "member" attribute on an "inetorgperson".  If I want to
keep track of group membership on a user object, is there an attribute
that I should use?  Will there ever be one in the base schema for that
purpose?  Should I add my own "memberOf" attribute to use instead?

If you add extensibleObject or something to that effect to the
objectClass attribute of the any entry then
that entry can contain any attributeType defined in any schema within
the server.  Give that a try for a quick
workaround to your problem and let us know how it goes.

Alex,
That does in fact work.  I can use that workaround so I don't have to
add my own schema extension.  Is that a recommended way to do things in
the directory?  I guess at this point I am really looking for guidance
on the "right" way to do things.

Thanks
Tony

may be monitored.