directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release ADS 1.5.0
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:17:19 GMT
OK, I have an actual concern too, that I could actually investigate
if we had proposed release artifacts :-)

What exactly is apacheds's use of bouncy castle code?  My
understanding of the status of the bouncy castle jar situation is
that apache projects cannot redistribute bouncy castle jars due to
the patent licensing problems.  (IANAL but my understanding is that
they ship code that infringes a software patent in the US but
apparently not in Australia where the jars originate) (I don't know
what it means but people say "IDEA algorithm")

Geronimo doesn't use the allegedly patented algorithm/code and we
resolved the situation by importing the non-questionable code into
geronimo and publishing our own jar.  If apacheds doesn't need the
allegedly patented stuff we would be on much firmer ground to use the
geronimo-util jar (if we missed some needed code that is not
allegedly infringing I'll be happy to help add it).  If apacheds does
need the allegedly patented code we may be in trouble.

thanks
david jencks