directory-dev mailing list archives

From Quanah Gibson-Mount <qua...@stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Benchmarks feedback
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:15:12 GMT
--On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:04 PM -0400 Alex Karasulu
<akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:

> On 3/27/07, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> Java based load generators are just fine.  I guess this is a tactic to
> toot the OpenLDAP (C) horn
> and bash Java while doing it: subtle but apparent.  Even Java clients are
> not good
> enough I guess :/.

No, that wasn't the intent.  The fact is, a single C based client can
generate 25 times more authentications/second than a single slamd client.
So, that would mean I could use 75% fewer clients if I could use C, to
generate a similar load.

> The whole point to load generators is to increase the number of them as
> needed to
> blast the server with as much load to saturate it.  If one load injector
> is not sufficient then
> increase the number.  SLAMD does the job nicely.

Well, actually, it is a little more than that.  The more clients you put on
a single system, the worse things get.  I currently use 5 systems with 4
clients each, for a total of 20 clients.  Fewer servers with more clients
performs worse.

> One of the advantages to SLAMD is it's simplicity and the fact that it is
> a platform.  It's easy to write
> quick tests using Java and load them.  If you want to write a C based
> platform that's just as easy to use
> to do the same thing then be my guest.  However I don't think it's going
> to go that far.

I would hope it would be built with some type of test template engine.  In
any case, certainly none has been written so far. ;)  I'm just always on
the lookout for something else.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount