directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Enrique Rodriguez" <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject [OT] VMware ESX + BEA Liquid VM
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:47:46 GMT
Hi, Directory developers,

I've been meaning to ask the list if anyone had been following this
topic; other articles are available if you Google:

"With VMware's help, BEA ditches the operating system" (URL may wrap)
http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid94_gci1234289,00.html

I've worked a decent amount with VMware and Xen running infrastructure
services.  If not specifically any of the aforementioned vendors, then
at least this model (VM tight to the hardware) has a lot of merit;
partly for performance but mostly for management.

I also think it has a big role to play in what we're trying to do at
the Directory project.  For a long time I thought JNode was the answer
here, but this "operating system-less" model is even tighter.  And we
have a story, with IDfusion, for how to separate services to make
realm control even more flexible.

Food for thought.

Enrique