directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Terminology] Partition?
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:26:59 GMT
Ole Ersoy a écrit :

> Hi Stefan
>
> Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>>> Is this standard LDAP speak, or ADS dialect?
>>

>> In RFC4512 that is called 'naming context'. In common speach it is often
>> called 'base DN'.
>>

> OK - So when I describe partitions in the concept document
> I can say that they are effectively the same as "naming contexts"
> or "base DNs", but we added the partition concept in ApacheDS to
> to describe a base DN that can be backed by it's own DIT implementation?

The partition concept is not specific to ADS. You will find it in Active
Directory too , but more generally, this is a X500 concept :
"X.501, “Information Technology—Open Systems Interconnection—The
Directory: Models,” defines the term naming context as, “A subtree of
entries held in a single master DSA.” It goes on to describe the process
of dividing a tree into multiple naming contexts as /partitioning."

<warning>I'm not wikipedia, so the following part may be a bad
interpretation of me</warning>
Base DN is really totally different : this is the starting point for an
operation. For instance, when you do a Search, you start it from a
position in your tree, and this position is named "base DN". The base DN
for your partition is the starting point for any operation on your
partition/DIT. So to speak, a partition/DIT is described by it's DN
which is a baseDN (you can't cut it anymore, like an atom).

There is some confusion about this term, I think.
Emmanuel/