directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Terminology] Partition?
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:42:07 GMT
Hi Stefan

Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi Ole,
>
>> When we talk about a partition we are talking about
>> something like
>>
>> DN: ou=system right?
>>
>> In other words the DN: ou=system is one partition
>> And then if I add
>>
>> DN: ou=com
>>
>> then that's another partition?
>
> BTW: If you want to represent a DNS domain in LDAP you could use the
> attribute type 'dc' (='domainComponent'), see
> http://rfc.net/rfc4519.html#p6) that is part of the object classes
> 'domain' and 'dcObject'. The domain 'example.com' is then
> 'dc=example,dc=com'

Cool - Thanks for the heads up.

>> Is this standard LDAP speak, or ADS dialect?
>
> In RFC4512 that is called 'naming context'. In common speach it is often
> called 'base DN'.

OK - So when I describe partitions in the concept document
I can say that they are effectively the same as "naming contexts"
or "base DNs", but we added the partition concept in ApacheDS to
to describe a base DN that can be backed by it's own DIT implementation?

ADS is so cool!

>> Thanks,
>> - Ole
>>

> Stefan