directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ou=system is parent context for all entries?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:49:31 GMT

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Ole Ersoy a écrit :
>
>> <snip/>
>> Incidentally - Some might like it if
>> the DAS was able to just create this root context without using the
>> configuration file.
>>
>> Then ADS could just add it to the configuration file.
>
> This is something we could work on, but this is not currently
> possible. The basic idea is to store all the configuration into ADS,
> so that you can modify it through Ldap requests (of course, the port
> and host will remain in a file :)

OK - 40 characters per line huh? :-)
Sure I like them short as well.

Yes - All the information will still be in ADS at runtime.
It's just that ADS's configuration could be pointed to other
configurations files as well.  The criteria would
be to avoid having users enter configuration
information in multiple locations, which
is sometimes necessary, because
tooling will define it's own
configuration file.

Anyways - I just threw it out there as something to be
aware of in case we come across more scenarios,...we'll
have some collective memory.  It feels like a low priority item to me.

>> <snip/>
>>
>> P.S.
>>
>> This may qualify for as a scenario (John mentioned) where
>> configuration data is in multiple files.
>
> I don't really like this scenario (but this is just me). I would favor
> a Ldap self-described server.

Yes - I usually like everything in one place whenever possible.
But I want to eliminate duplication of information always.
So if down the line we start running into situations where
information needs to be duplicated in multiple configuration
files I'll probably do a prototype.

>> <snip/>
>> Thanks,
>> - Ole
>

> EMmanuel.
>
> PS: I don't know which mail UI you are using, but it would be very
> cool for us if you can :
> - avoid mails with 40 chars per line (I think that almost 99,99% of us
> have at least 1024x768 wide screens ... )
> - avoid adding an empty line between each lines
> - and avoid keeping the whole thread at the end of each mail.

I usually always put the thread at the beginning of the mail.
I wonder if Thunderbird is doing something funky...
It always starts me at the bottom and I have to scroll to the top.

If you see any more where the Thread is at the end of the mail,
send it to me and I'll see what's up.  Thanks.

> This would make your mails much more pleasant to read, and also less
> big ...

Cool - Thanks for the Tips!!
- Ole