directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RPM Installer] Cygwin Stuff in Start/Stop Shell Script
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 02:27:56 GMT
Hmmm

The only thing I think is weird about it, is that it sort of implies that
someone could or might want to run it in a Cygwin environment.

Which sort of implies that we've tested it in a Cygwin environment,
and support that type of configuration.

Which I think if were going to keep it, we should actually do.

However this is more work, and given that we have installers for
both OSs,....

So I'm thinking 99.9% of users will grab either the *nix installer or
the windoz
installer.  Then .1% will grab the *nix and perhaps try to run in a
Cygwin environment.

Then they may ask for support, and since we have that in there, we
should probably have answers
with respect to how we've tested it.

And then we would probably ask why don't you just install it straight up
on windoz?

And half may say Ohhh - There's a windoz installer?

I think we should leave it out, and then if there's a lot of support
inquiries about running
in Cygwin, put it back and have the supportees help us out with
validating the configuration....

And if anyone really really feels strongly about it, then I'll just
shove it back in :-)

Cheers,
- Ole