directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Schema] How do I write a new ObjectClass to ApacheDS
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:42:26 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Ole Ersoy schrieb:
>
>> OH - OK - I think the lights are turning on.
>>
>> Suppose I have a
>> DN: cn=user1 ou=users, ou=system
>>
>> I can hang any attribute I want on this DN right?
>>

> Yes, assumed that the attribute type is defined in the LDAP schema and
> the DN/entry has the object classes that allow that attribute.

Ah Right - I was hoping maybe there was a way to turn that off, so that
I can just
have any attribute I want without any Schema checking.

So that's why I need to generate the ObjectClass for the Java Class on
the fly / before
I write the object.

>> So if I want to store an instance of Java Class User (That has members
>> [userName:String, userPassword:string]
>> I could simply add the member values of a User instance as attributes to
>> the DN, and my object is effectively stored.
>>
>> If I want to get an instance of that object later,
>> the DAS just creates a user instance, and fetches the attributes using the
>> DN: cn=user1 ou=users, ou=system
>> context.
>>
>> In other words I get the attributes assigned to this context and
>> the ones that have the same name as the User Class members, would be
>> be assigned used to initialize the state of a User instance?
>>

> Hm, JNDI defines a framework for doing such mappings between Java
> objects and LDAP entries: State Factories and Object Factories. Please
> see http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/TOC.html, especially
> chapter 'Java Objects and the Directory'.
>

>> So even thought userName has java type String,
>> I don't have to create  a corresponding
>> LDAP ObjectClass named User that says that
>> userName is of LDAP attribute type String....., and then map the java
>> members
>> to the members of the User ObjectClass?
>>

> For such a simple case you could just reuse the standard object class
> 'person' with its attributes 'cn' and 'userPassword'. But note that the
> userPassword attribute is defined as binary (Octet String) in RFC 4519.
>
> If your User Java class additionally has an attribute (e.g. 'shoeSize')
> that is not specified in an standard schema you could define an
> additional (AUXILIARY) object class in LDAP, e.g. 'customPerson' and an
> attribute type 'shoeSize' as may attribute. Then you could add this
> object class to the entry and then you could store the attribute
> 'shoeSize' to the entry.

Yes!  Precisely.  It could be that the Class I want to store is a
ShoeSizeGuesser class.
I want to store the following members of that class
weight: int
height: int
hairColor: String

But I don't have an ObjectClass for this in ADS, so first I need to
create one programmatically.

So the DAS first creates it, stores it in ADS, then
creates a context to store the attributes of ShoeSizeGuesser under

So the ShoeSizeGuesser would have these LDAP attributes:

ObjectClass: ShoeSizeGuesser
weight: int
height: int
hairColor: String

So my question is, how do I create the
ShoeSizeGuesser ObjectClass programmatically
at the client end, and then "bind" / "load" it into
ApacheDS?

I looked at the New Schema Subsystem material, but did not see a section
on how to do this...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
- Ole