directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Integration tests] How to speed up the tests
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:37:11 GMT
Alex Karasulu a écrit :

> Just watch out for tests that may colide.  For example some tests will
> add
> stuff into the server then count and assert the number of entries.  Some
> tests will delete entries.  All these tests presume a pristine setup
> with a
> fresh server.  So basically we're going to need to cleanup for each test.

That's true. I have looked at this method, but when I saw the
implications, I just step back.

> Some tests presume custom setups.  So this is not such a clean and simple
> approach with what we have.  Although there the techique will work it
> will
> take some labor to get us there.

We nned something a little bit different. Most of the tests we have
should use this kind of process :
1) initialize data
2) do the test
3) restore the initial state.

For instance, if we want to test a DelRequest, the step (1) would simply
inject the data, then (2) will remove it, and (3) will be empty.
Pierre-Arnaud is worling on such tests that use DSML, because you can
write them in one single file containing the AddRequest, the
RemoveRequest and the SearchRequest to be sure we don't have the removed
entry anymore.

Wait and see :)

Emmanuel