directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Benchmarks feedback
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:29:27 GMT
Quanah Gibson-Mount a écrit :

> --On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:05 PM -0400 Matt Hogstrom
> <matt@hogstrom.org> wrote:
>
>> I haven't used SLAMD.  I have a C based load generator that is
>> proprietary.  If it scales that would be awesome.
>

> Is it a C based load generator that can distribute across clients,
> similar to slamd?  Or is it more like directoryMark?  I'm curious,
> because the problem we've run into in benchmarking OpenLDAP with
> slamd, is that slamd simply can't keep up when one has a highly tuned
> performant server. :/

Just because you didn't had enough clients to feed the server, I guess :)

> There's been some interesting in writing (or finding) an alternate
> LDAP testing engine that is C based.

I don't really think that C will outperform Java for this kind of tool.
The performance bottleneck will be the network, whatever language you
will use...

> Unfortunately, one that is not proprietary is of course desired.

This is why slamd seams a good tool. If its performance is bad, then
it's up to the users to improve it. Version 2.0.0 seems promizing, with
another backend (BDB JE)

Emmanuel.