directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject [LDAP DAS] Efficient Updating of Persisted Objects
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 05:06:11 GMT
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on handling updates
to Java beans (Service Data Objects - but basically the same thing)
persisted with ADS.

With Service Data Objects we create a datagraph that is then disconnected
from it's persistence source and we can mutate it.  Then later we want to
persist the graph.  Each object in the graph has a change summary, that
stores the fields that were updated.

This makes it possible to only update objects that have been changed, and
we only need to update the fields that were changed.

However, I think the DirContext will overwrite the entire
object during the bind operation, rather than updating specific fields
on the object.

Initially I  was thinking that the object's attributes (primitive
properties - not references to other objects)
would be serialized and made into directory attributes.  But I think a
LDAP ObjectClass schema that corresponds to the
object's class (The class of the object we are persisting) would have to
be generated and stored along with the instance.

This might lead to performance improvments, if doable...?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
- Ole