directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OSGi] Adding Manifests to Dependency Jars
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:18:14 GMT
Hey John,Enrique, Alex, Carlos

(Carlos I decided to copy you in at the last minute here - Could you
please comment on the below as well).

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes - I saw Carlos's thread about starting an OSGi repo on maven dev.

He mentioned that the felix plugin will process the build dependency
tree and create OSGi bundles as well.

I have a feeling the process would be a lot shorter if we just processed
the maven repository in two passes.

1) First generate and add the Manifest to each jar in the maven repository.
2) Run the RPM Factory on those jars.

Now the RPM mirror and the Maven OSGi Repository are in sync.  And all
this is completely transparent to users.

This ensures that the Jars installed by yum have the required OSGi metadata.

Then when new artifacts are added to the repository, whoever adds them
would run the OSGi manifest mojo first,
then add the artifacts.  If the project was built against the OSGi
compliant repository,manifestize the artifacts produced by the project.
Maybe the felix mojo works like that already.  I'll check.

I'll give the process a test run.  In the end the only difference should
be that I'm doing the whole
or a filtered subset of the entire repository, and the felix plugin just
does the dependency tree.

So both the felix plugin and my plugin would produce the same result.
The only difference is the number of jars processed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
- Ole