directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LDAP] Removing LdapMessageHandler interface
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:25:34 GMT
David Jencks a écrit :

Hi David,

>> It's unnecessary now, but we migth use it later. In my mind, having
>> an intermedirary interface for Ldap message does not harm, and can
>> have some advantages, in the futur. It would be a pity that we have
>> to reintroduce this interface later for some unknown usage...
>

> I haven't looked at this code, but in my experience even when I'm
> quite sure I know exactly how some currently unused feature that
> someone else is stubbing their toes on is going to support some great
> new feature planned for the future, when I'm actually implementing
> the new feature there's a better way to do it.
>
> popularized as "YAGNI" -- "you ain't gonna need it"

Not sure that YAGNI pattern can be applied here : the code already
exists... We can also say "don't fix something that works", unless you
bring a major improvment.

However, this is not a big deal. Enrique has had the good atitude : the
code is dubious, or at least useless, so he asked if it can be removed.
IMO, I would say that there may have been some reason for this
LdapMessageHandler to be there.

I mean, this is not a big deal. Enrique said that he was able to remove
the interface in 10 minutes, and after having looked further, I can see
his point. May be if we explore the SVN back two years ago, this
interface was usefull. I don't really know.

In any case, this interface is *not* the corner stone of the server, so
far ... :)

Emmanuel