directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SASL] SASL configuration
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:02:38 GMT
Hey Enrique,

This is slightly OT (Off Thread), but still in a remote vicinity somewhere.

John was wondering a while back whether it made sense to load ApacheDS
and related configuration files using EMF, in the interested of generating
Eclipse Plugin Editors for editing configuration files and straight
forward refactoring and versioning
of configuration file schemas.

If we want to add/remove configuration elements/attributes we simply
update the Ecore model,
and regenerate and it's done.  All the editors, etc. are automatically
updated.  We could also
create an editor similar to the Eclipse plugin.xml editor, that has tabs
for various configuration files
very easily with this type of approach.

EMF also supports demand loading of proxy references.  This means that
if we wanted
to we could access all configuration information through one central
model, but the
configuration information is still maintained in separate files.  Each
file is demand
loaded when configuration information contained in a proxy reference is
requested.

Anyways, just thought I'd mention it for awareness and in case you think
it might come in handy
while reviewing the configuration topology.

Cheers,
- Ole