directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [Authenticator] Question regarding encrypted passwords
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:24:44 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> is it the server responsability to compare the user's password against
> an encrypted form or should the client encrypt the password before
> sending it to the server ?
>
> I mean, we can have one of those two possibilities :
> 1) [client] --(clear password)--> <network> --> [server] --> encrypt the

> password and compares it to the stored encrypted password
> or
> 2) [client] --(encrypt password)--> <network> [server] --> compares the
> encrypted password and compares it to the stored encrypted password

> PS : we have solution 1 currently implemented. Is it correct ?

Hi Emmanuel!

Option 1 is currently implemented. The client can not authenticate via
simple bind with the encrypted (digested) value. S/he must send the
password in clear (ideally via ldaps). See here:

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/31-authentication-options.html

Cite:
--8<--
Providing the hashed value of the userpassword attribute instead of the
original value will be rejected by ApacheDS:

$ ldapsearch -h zanzibar -p 10389 -D "cn=Horatio
Hornblower,ou=people,o=sevenSeas" \\
     -w "{SHA}nU4eI71bcnBGqeO0t9tXvY1u5oQ=" -b "ou=people,o=sevenSeas"
-s base "(objectclass=*)"
ldap_simple_bind: Invalid credentials
ldap_simple_bind: additional info: Bind failed: null

This is intended. If someone was able to catch this value (from an LDIF
export for instance), s/he must still provide the password itself in
order to get authenticated.
-->8--

This is why I think option 2 is not recommended at all. By the way: the
following servers behave exactly the same:

* OpenLDAP 2.3
* Sun Java System Directory Server 5.2
* IBM Tivoli Directory Server 6.0

Greetings,