directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [DOC] Status
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:21:25 GMT
Welcome back, Emmanuel!

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> 1) What is the status of the BUG ? Should we considerate it as a 1.0
> version, or is it still a RC ?

Although there is still some work to be done, the Basic User's Guide is
live and used by many ApacheDS newbies (due to web site analytics).

Only a few pages still have to be finished, and some others definitely
need improvement. Analytics show that the pages visited most are those
from chapter 1 ("how to begin"). Either people tend to give up after the
first chapter, or (more likely) the guide attracts new users most, and
chapter 1 is (among all others) dedicated solely to them.

> 2) What about considering documentation as whole project, with version
> number, to be sure that we have completed them, and that their status is
> ok ?

Currently, we are very agile, because of the publishing process we have.
Having versions which will be published in a controlled way is not a bad
idea, but the process has to be modified then (staging area, etc.).

> 3) Is there some work done to organize the AUG ?

It would be necessary from my point of view. But currently, some new
content emerges, especially from Enrique in the area of Kerberos, which
is more important. People ask how to do this or that, and I think it is
more important to have nice docs which describe the tasks, with simple
examples etc. I have added a primitive embedding example recently, by
the way, btw.

Perhaps we can start a structure document in the sandbox, comparable to
the Basic User's Guide, in order to detect where we need more
content/examples. Christine?

> 4) What about renaming the BUG to something less frightening ? (even if
> I found it funny, talking about BUG can be confusion for users ;)

The term BUG is not used on the site. I think Basic User's Guide is a
fine name. How about using the full name on the list? (Alternative:
"Getting Started with ApacheDS"?, abbr. GSWADS).

Greetings,
     Stefan