directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Integration tests] How to speed up the tests
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:44:25 GMT

On Mar 23, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with the new schema handling system (the schema is now stored as
> Ldap entries in the server, and loaded at startup), the integration
> tests are taking forever (17 mins on my 3GhZ desktop, 13 minutes on
> my shinny Imac dual-core).
>
> The reason is that all the schema elements have to be read out of
> the server, and as the server is able to manage around 500 req/s
> (more or less), each test cost around a second, bare minimum.
>
> As we have around 150 tests in server-unit, this is around 3
> minutes to run integration tests, and we have the double in core-
> unit, so it's 6 more minutes.
>
> We have a few options :
> 1) Improve the server so it can handle 5000 req/s, dividing the
> tests duration by ten : yeah, that would be cool, but...
> 2) Improve the tests to limit the number of server startup and
> shutdown to one by test (the setup should contain a test to check
> if the server has been started or not before, and add code to feed
> the server and some other code to clean the server)

(2) is a junit TestSetup IIRC?  I might not remember the name but
there's an easy way to have setUp and tearDown methods called once
per class or if you code a Suite once per suite.  I think this is
what you're looking for here.  The setUp and tearDown methods in the
regular test class still get called once per test.

thanks
david jencks