directory-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Benchmarks feedback
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:05:31 GMT

On Mar 27, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> I think we need to use load injectors and SLAMD with this thing.
> Really having the clients on the same machine
> is causing issues.  I highly recommend setting up some other
> machines as client injectors.  I can do this with
> some machines.

I have another 8-way that is also running Linux.  The hostname is
nique.  Emmanuel, what you can do is ssh to wilbur and then ssh from
wilbur  to nique.  Let's use nique as the driver.

Once your on nique you have direct access to the Internet to pull
items in.

> Also Emmanuel we need to use SLAMD instead of inventing our own
> means to measure performance.  The SUN
> guys really put a lot of work into SLAMD and we should use it.
> Perhaps we can build our own custom tests if need
> be.  SLAMD should be the default tool we use otherwise the
> measurments and techniques used are questionable.

I haven't used SLAMD.  I have a C based load generator that is
proprietary.  If it scales that would be awesome.

> If we use matt's machine as the server I can setup several machines
> on the internet to be used as the load
> injectors.  Yes this is a bit crazy across the open internet but if
> we can generate enough load with a few
> machines across several sites we should be able to peak the server.

If needed there are 3 other systems (of which nique is one) that can
be clients.  All on a local gigabit network.