directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Releasing process] was Re: [VOTE] Release ADS 1.5.0
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:26:37 GMT

On Mar 23, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Hi David,

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 7:33 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
> > I would add that we could follow more or less the process described
> > in http://cocoon.apache.org/devinfo/releasing.html
> >
> > This seems to be pretty reasonable. Tagging the trunk is not really
> > complicated.
> >
> > wdyt ?
>
> I think that's pretty much completely unreasonable for a project
> built with maven.
>
> IIUC the process incubator projects seem to be gravitating towards
> goes something like this:
>
> 1. everyone agrees informally that it's time for a release and
> someone is selected as release manager.
>
> 2. jiras, code, docs etc are cleaned up
>
> 3. mvn release is used to tag svn and push proposed artifacts to a
> staging location, normally the release managers' space on
> people.apache.org
>
> 4. Everyone goes over the proposed artifacts with a fine toothed comb
> checking the legal requirements and whether they actually work (in
> order of importance :-)
>
> 5. The vote occurs on the proposed binary artifacts + the svn tag.
>
> - if the vote passes, the tag remains and the artifacts are moved to
> the apache maven repo (using the appropriate maven goal which I don't
> know)
> - if the vote fails (usually because a jar is missing LICENSE and/or
> NOTICE files) the tag is removed, the build number is incremented,
> and everyone goes back to step 2.
>
> What is the build number that you are referring to? You mean the
> version used for the maven artifacts?

I might not have that part quite right.  I think the jars can be
arranged to have a build number at the end of the version

1.5.0-3

where "3" is the build number.  This might only happen with snapshot
jars.

Anyway I think investigating what maven will do automatically for us
would be wise.  I think it can now automatically put the legal files
in when building, and I think this staged release process works.
> I actually like this process.
>
> Yes I like this process too.

BTW the recent bouncycastle issue makes me think even more that it's
important to vote on the actual artifacts to be released rather than
on a feeling that its about time to push something out the door :-)

On a hopefully not too related issue it seems to me unlikely that
apachds doesn't deserve a spot on http://www.apache.org/licenses/
exports.  Has anyone investigated this stuff?

thanks
david jencks