directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [Referrals] How do we handle Context.REFERRAL property inside the server
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:18:01 GMT
Hi guys,

we have had a short convo yesturday with Alex about how the server is
supposed to handle the JNDI Context.REFERRAL property. Basically, tis
property can be set by a JNDI client to enforce a behavior when the server
send back a referral :
" A JNDI application uses the
Context.REFERRAL<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/javax/naming/Context.html#REFERRAL>
[image:
(in the API reference
documentation)]<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/javax/naming/Context.html#REFERRAL>(
"java.naming.referral") environment property to indicate to the service
providers how to handle referrals"

However, the server might not be seen as a Ldap Service Provider per se. Ifg
you read the tutorial further, there is a clear indication that the server
does not handle this property :

" Continuation references can be mixed in with search results returned by an
LDAP "search" operation. For example, when searching a directory, the server
might return several search results, in addition to a few continuation
references that show where to obtain further results. These results and
references might be interleaved at the protocol level. When the
Context.REFERRAL property is set to "follow", the LDAP service provider
processes all the normal entries first, before following the continuation
references. When this property is set to "throw", all of normal entries are
returned in the enumeration first, before the ReferralException is thrown."

So far, so good. But we have a problem : ADS is offering a JNDI interface,
thus must handle this Context.REFERRAL property. So the question is :
-  How do we have to handle this poperty into the server? Should we simply
ignore it, just dealing with the control, or should we try to implement all
the mechanism to handle the FOLLOW ?

wdyt ?
--
Cordialement,