directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <>
Subject Re: Use of Proxy on
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:01:20 GMT
Hi Paul,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I think setting up a simple cron
job to sync the content over is better than the rewrite rules.  We certainly
would like to have the redundancy and rapid fail over that other sites

Hopefully we can get a response from some of the folks that were involved in
setting up the site so we can quickly rectify this situation.

On 2/26/07, Paul Querna <> wrote:
> Hello dev@directory;
> Us over in infrastructure noticed something different about
> this morning.  Well, first thing was, that
> it was down. (And people noticed, and told us!)
> But when we looked into it, we thought it was pretty odd, since eos (the
> T2000 that all of the main websites are currently hosted on) was doing
> fine, and all the other TLP sites seemed up.
> What we found was a cute series of RewriteRules in the main
> .htaccess file:
> $ cat /x1/www/
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$$1 [P,L]
> So, most of the content on is being proxied to
> aka
> From an infrastructure perspective, this creates an unacceptable
> dependency between services. (and CWiki) will go
> down.  They just aren't setup to be redundant right now.
> In comparison,  the (static) content under /x1/www is mirrored to
> multiple machines in multiple data centers, and in the case of a failure
> we can quickly (and relatively painlessly) switch it to another machine.
> The preferred method is to export the static files from brutus, onto
>, into your /x1/www/ directory.
> Many other TLPs do this via a crontab on  If you need
> help setting this up, we would be happy to help get you started.
> Thanks,
> -Paul

View raw message