directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Enrique Rodriguez" <>
Subject Re: [OSGi] Implementing OSGi for 1.5
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 02:34:25 GMT
On 2/9/07, Alex Karasulu <> wrote:
> John,
> Doing this means committing to OSGi and I'm not going to be too
> comfortable with doing this until I see:
> To tell you the truth we have big concerns that overshadow the container
> effort right now.  First on that list is multi master replication so we
> can make the directory and all that rests upon it fault tolerant.
> That does not mean I am not interested in OSGi or getting this stuff
> working and integrated into the main trunk.  I'm sure we're going to see
> several benefits from using a container again.

My thoughts on moving ApacheDS to OSGi:

1)  I am in agreement with the priorities and timeline mentioned by
Alex and Emmanuel.  There are some key enterprise features the server
needs first and I have a lot of clean-up, doco, and enhancements to
make to the protocols myself.  I think we can target June and work to
get the ApacheDS house in order by then.

2)  A lot has improved in OSGi-land since we first started making
ApacheDS bundles with Maven 1.0.  OSGi support on jcp-open was
encouraging as well as support we've seen from members of the JBoss,
Geronimo, Spring, and Maven communities.  We'll see a lot of activity
this year, making OSGi even easier to move to:  3rd-party library
support, Spring support, and drastic improvements to Maven bundle
plugin technology.  To be honest, moving a year ago to OSGi would have
been a lot of effort and I think the 3 months asked for here will
allow us to get some groundwork laid in the Felix community to make
this an even easier transition.

3)  I think the next step is to get all of the great thinking that was
in this thread into a Confluence page.  Is this still the best

We can move that page over by itself, but there was some indication
that the entire site was moving?

View raw message