directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [OSGi] Implementing OSGi for 1.5
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:24:24 GMT
Sorry - The link below was a little further back in
the thread:

Here's the one where the OSGi discussion starts,
although the previous messages on the thread are a
good backdrop.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-server-dev/200604.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPGEAMHJAC.noel@devtech.com%3e

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-server-dev/200604.mbox/%3c4162765.1144418383864.JavaMail.root@81-174-50-40.vps.virtuo.it%3e

> [...]
> > sure we're going to see
> > several benefits from using a container again.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > John E. Conlon wrote:
> > > Think it is time to begin the process of moving
> > OSGi into our trunk for
> > > the 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT.
> > > Propose that instead of adding parallel projects
> > that wrap our existing
> > > projects in OSGi bundles, that we instead add
> OSGi
> > metadata to the jars
> > > that are created by our existing projects.
> This
> > is easily done by
> > > adding the org.apache.felix maven-bundle-plugin
> > our subproject
> > > pom.xml files.
> > > While Enrique and I used wrapping techniques in
> > our initial OSGi
> > > parallel project experimentations, working more
> > directly on each of our
> > > subprojects offers IMO significant advantages.
> > >
> > > 1. Fewer projects. It's basically a few lines in
> > an existing project
> > > versus a new project.
> > >    + N existing projects versus N x 2 projects
> via
> > the wrapper approach.
> > >    + While it is possible to wrap multiple
> > subprojects in uber OSGi
> > > bundles, this still will produce N number of
> > additional projects for us
> > > to maintain.
> > > 2.  Direct control of OSGi metadata would offer
> > techniques for improved
> > > decoupling between subprojects
> > >    + Working directly with OSGi  (Subproject)
> > developers will have the
> > > tools (via plugin instructions) to begin to
> focus
> > on offering to users
> > > of their jars (bundles) public exported packages
> > as well as hiding
> > > implementation in private packages within the
> > module.
> > >
> > > 3.  Better modularity at deploy time.
> > >
> > > What does everyone think?
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > > John
> > >

> > > begin:vcard
> > fn:Alex Karasulu
> > n:Karasulu;Alex
> > org:Apache Software Foundation;Apache Directory
> > adr:;;1005 N. Marsh Wind Way;Ponte Vedra
> > ;FL;32082;USA
> > email;internet:akarasulu@apache.org
> > title:Member, V.P.
> > tel;work:(904) 791-2766
> > tel;fax:(904) 808-4789
> > tel;home:(904) 808-4789
> > tel;cell:(904) 315-4901
> > note;quoted-printable:AIM: alexokarasulu=0D=0A=
> > 	MSN: aok123@bellsouth.net=0D=0A=
> > 	Yahoo!: alexkarasulu=0D=0A=
> > 	IRC: aok=0D=0A=
> > 	PGP ID: 1024D/4E1370F8 BBCC E8D8 8756 2D51 C3D4
> > 014A 3662 F96F 4E13 70F8=0D=0A=
> >
> > x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> > url:http://people.apache.org/~akarasulu
> > version:2.1
> > end:vcard

> Expecting? Get great news right away with email

Get your own web address.