directory-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: Class + Class Helper Pattern
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:17:31 GMT
Ole Ersoy wrote:
> I think this may have some:
>
> http://www.andromda.org/
>
> >From the description it's my wet dream in cyberspace.
>
> I started drooling uncontrollably when I saw it.
>
> Then there's this:
> http://amateras.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/fswiki_en/wiki.cgi?page=AmaterasUML
>
> I've only skimmed though...
>
> And this:
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/GMF_New_and_Noteworthy

Bingo GMF!
http://www.eclipse.org/gmf/gallery/index.php

Okay here is the process:
Service Requirements -> Design -> Artifact (component) creation->
Warehousing (Repos) -> Deployment -> Component dependency matrix
->Execution -> Service fulfillment!

The big problem is documentation.  It is needed throughout the chain.
Needed to always answer the archetypical question - WTF?

But when is doco created? Before or after the artifact is built, stored,
deployed or run?   We need it up front and through out the lifecycle and
it can't get stale.  Artifact with out docs is no good, can't be
maintained.  Doc without artifact, what's the point?  One school of
thought is to do the documentation then the code, second school says the
code then the documentation, third school says generate docs from code,
and forth says generate code from docs.  (Fifth school drinks beer.)

Fun times!  The third and the forth camps are converging, and the gap is
closer (touching?) now than ever.

When standard metadata is used properly we can do a lot with industry
standard tools.  (We can even send information through wires. ;-) )
When documentation is precise enough it becomes machine readable.  (Is a
computer language, like Java just human readable metadata,  or
documentation? Its both.)

Unfortunately  the EMF model editor does not do enough visually to
communicate the ideas behind the model.  (The modeled ideas.)  But the
graphics modeling framework GMF stuff does. (A friend from TogetherJ
told me about this stuff but I forgot.)

Wouldn't it be nice to have one tool that does it all?  With EMF and GMF
I think we do.

Look at this viewpoint of a Eclipse plugin (ie-OSGi bundle) component
environment.
http://www.eclipse.org/gmf/gallery/pde.png

It is a view of the component dependency matrix!

That is THE documentation picture one needs to present to application
administrators.  Remember -> WTF? (ie - What is The Function. ;-) ) It
is made possible because all artifacts within the dependency matrix are
using standard containers.   OSGi Bundles, Jars, Zips,Files, Bits.  The
difference between each in this artifact container hierarchy is
metadata. I can do more with the higher level artifact containers than I
can with the lower ones because of it.

I had a container conversation recently with someone and I mentioned
that most projects are using many different kinds of containers. They
are used so often the developers don't give them a second thought.
Even this email thread started out with the issue of container (class)
testing.  Interesting you also combined it with container (aka artifact)
design documentation as well.

Your interest in JPackage and APT/YUM for container deployment and
dependency matrix support is also an example.

If one adheres to standard containers, one can take advantage of all the
work being done on those containers.  It's the network effect.

Maven is a  managed container (repo) of containers. The maven folks are
now working to better leverage the new metadata now available in OSGi
bundles - not only for the automatic metadata creation at package time
but within the distribution repos as well.  One track of research is
OBR.  OBR is the equivalent to APT/YUM but for OSGi bundles.
http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/osgi-bundle-repository-obr.html

Let's face it - the final destination for our containers is another one
- the JVM container.  But we need something in between that though to
handle the dependency matrix.  Two ways to approach it - we either build
it ourselves or use a standard container.

Eclipse is moving into the enterprise.   Friendly competition I think
(With LDAPStudio ApacheDS is moving to the desktop).

Check out this guy's email thread (and the one that follows it up one)
I saw them today while looking through the links that you sent.

I think they really summarize the 'generic' enterprise requirements
fairly well.
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.technology.ecp/msg00089.html

thanks for all the insights,

warm regards,