directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OSGi] Implementing OSGi for 1.5
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:47:44 GMT
John E. Conlon a écrit :

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for the comments.  See inline for responses.
>
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Doing this means committing to OSGi and I'm not going to be too
>> comfortable with doing this until I see:
>
> We can look at this two ways.  From one perspective we would not be
> committing 'fully' to OSGi, as the decorated metadata would not affect
> the behavior of the jars as they operate today.
> One of the big issues for the OSGi community today is to convince
> library providers to add a few lines of metadata to their jars
> artifacts so they could also be used in OSGi projects.   So from this
> perspective I guess I am trying to convince us to 'at least' to make
> our jars OSGi friendly.

Hi John, Alex,

First of all, I have to say that OSGi effort is valuable, and we have to
thank you, John, for you dedication and continuous effort regarding it
during those last months.

I want to address some of Alex concerns, and also give you my opinion on
the next few steps, and months. During last Apache Conference, we have
announced the first release of Apache Directory Server (1.0) and Mina
has become a TLP, separated from Directory. We also included three
sub-projects into Apache DS :
- triplesec,
- mitosis,
- ldap studio
This was a lot of work, and a lot of little things to manage (and you
know that it takes more time to manage many little things that one big
thing).
We are currently preparing a 1.0.1 release of ADS (a bug fix), quickly
followed by a 1.5.0 release, with a new Schema Management feature (plus
Java 5 support). We also have to make Mitosis stable for may (or even
better, before may !). The site has been totally redesigned - thanks to
Ersin, pam and many contributors-, and the documentation has been
improved - thanks to Stefan and Christine -. Again, this was a lot of work.

As Alex stated, I think this time for dust to settle a little bit. We
have a damn loaded roadmap since ApacheCon EU (may 1st), and I'm not
sure we may dedicate enough attention to OSGification of ADS before this
date.

What I would suggest is that we should put this OSGification on the
roadmap starting on may, 4th, when we will be able to back it. This is
really true that if you don't get committers attention, then it will be
hard time (many complaints to be expected ...).

I'm sorry to admit that I didn't had a minute to follow up your work,
and I didn't had time to read anything about OSGi during last year. My
bad... I really want to jump into it, as I think it will help us on many
aspect.

So, can't we wait 3 more months before we jump into OSGi for ADS? If you
feel being ready, and that we should at least fulfill some first steps
that won't harm the project, then I will be pleased to follow your
instructions (like adding meta-info into the jars), but you will have to
be very explicit about what we must do, because we will be like babies
doing our first steps : keep the way really clear of any bump and traps :)

I don't want to slow you down, I just want to express my concern to be
unable to dedicate enough time for this task in the next few months. And
I guess this is also a concern for many others ADS committers...

It's just that, well, I feel like having run a marathon, and having to
run another one right now...

Hopefully, I'll be off for two weeks, so I will be in better shape when
I'll be back ;)

Emmanuel