directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OSGi] Implementing OSGi for 1.5
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 03:28:27 GMT
John,

Doing this means committing to OSGi and I'm not going to be too
comfortable with doing this until I see:

(1) some good "in situ" integration testing framework that allows us to
easily test services within the target container as part of the maven
build process,
(2) good test coverage, testing the integrated system of ApacheDS
services running inside an OSGi container (you need #1 for this)
(3) solid documentation in confluence for this OSGi based architecture
for ApacheDS
(4) Felix graduating with a 1.0 release that has full support for R4
(and has things like it's plugin deployed to Ibiblio so we don't have
Maven hick ups with SNAPSHOT plugin artifacts),
(5) greater team awareness of this OSGi based architecture,
(6) more consideration for OSGi alternatives like xbean,
(7) and time for us all to be involved to make sure something does not
go wrong during this move to OSGi.

#1 can be accomplished by the time #4 occurs through the Felix
community.  #2 and #3 are up to you and Enrique.  #4 will probably
happen soon.  IMO the big problems are #5, #6 and #7.  You posted some
very good emails out there on the status of your effort but we need
something more to make this catch on for #5.  In an ideal world we would
all be able to experiment with different containers (for #6) but we just
don't have the time which leads again to #7.

To tell you the truth we have big concerns that overshadow the container
effort right now.  First on that list is multi master replication so we
can make the directory and all that rests upon it fault tolerant.

That does not mean I am not interested in OSGi or getting this stuff
working and integrated into the main trunk.  I'm sure we're going to see
several benefits from using a container again.

Alex