directory-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject [OSGi] Implementing OSGi for 1.5
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:59:32 GMT
Think it is time to begin the process of moving OSGi into our trunk for
the 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT.

Propose that instead of adding parallel projects that wrap our existing
projects in OSGi bundles, that we instead add OSGi metadata to the jars
that are created by our existing projects.   This is easily done by
adding the org.apache.felix maven-bundle-plugin to our subproject
pom.xml files.

While Enrique and I used wrapping techniques in our initial OSGi
parallel project experimentations, working more directly on each of our
subprojects offers IMO significant advantages.

1. Fewer projects. It's basically a few lines in an existing project
versus a new project.
    + N existing projects versus N x 2 projects via the wrapper approach.
    + While it is possible to wrap multiple subprojects in uber OSGi
bundles, this still will produce N number of additional projects for us
to maintain.

2.  Direct control of OSGi metadata would offer techniques for improved
decoupling between subprojects
    + Working directly with OSGi  (Subproject) developers will have the
tools (via plugin instructions) to begin to focus on offering to users
of their jars (bundles) public exported packages as well as hiding
implementation in private packages within the module.

3.  Better modularity at deploy time.

What does everyone think?

cheers,
John