directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: [Testing] Coping with so many integration tests
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:59:46 GMT

On Feb 5, 2007, at 8:37 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> May I suggest a third solution? We might use tools like jmeter
>> which are able to launch tests against a ldap server, playing full
>> scenarios. The good part of it is that you can prepare the
>> scenarios with a GUI, and save them as XML files to be replayed
>> within maven (there is a maven-jmeter-plugin). The good points
>> about this scenario that you only launch the server once, tests
>> are easy to write and to maintain, and there is no more relation
>> with the actual code base, so no huge refactoring to do in tests
>> when modifying base classes like AttributeImpl.
> This is a great idea but how do we get this to be part of the build
> process?  Basically how do we get maven to launch a test server on
> startup that will be available for the entire run while tests
> operate on it?
> This is a great idea if we can make maven do it.

1. quick easy way is to use junit TestSetup something like this

     public static Test suite() {
         return new TestSetup(new TestSuite(HOWLLogTest.class)) {
                 //start server
             protected void tearDown() throws Exception {
                 //stop server

This will start the server before the tests in this class and stop it
after they are all run.  This way you can still have individual tests
which is likely to promote code clarity.

2. look into maven integration test support or steal some of the
geronimo test framework.

david jencks

> Alex
> <akarasulu.vcf>