directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [COLLABORATION] James
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 02:23:17 GMT
Hey Guys,

Alex - Thanks for the terrific elaboration on the
goods.

I'll make sure I get it into the design documents.

I decided to part ways with JPackage pretty much.  The
only thing I'm taking away from how they do things is
the FHS file system layout convention for server and
library installs.

I'll just do a quick approach summary here, since I'm
going to put more info in a detailed design document.

[RPM Factory]
A) Create an RPM Mirror of the Entire Maven Ibiblio
Repository
B) Create a Server Installer RPM
C) Yum will automatically pull the Server Installer
RPM's dependencies and place them in

/usr/share/java/

Thus James and ApacheDS would both load their classes
from there.

So once this is done for RPM, parallel efforts can be
started to create a similar installers for the other
Debian, Solaris, etc.

Windows is a slightly different animal.  I'll have a
better idea what needs to be done with that once I'm
done with the full blown RPM stuff.

So as soon as the RPM Factory piece is done, I'll
start  dive headfirst into the Bootstrappers, like
Alex is recommending.

More to come very soon :-)

Cheers,
- Ole

--- Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> the NOTICE.txt file: anything really.
>
> The plugin knows how to generate installers using
> this configuration and
> information about which launcher to use for a target
> platform.  It
> currently can generate:
>
>    o an RPM for various Linux platforms (ppc &
> intel)
>    o IzPack java installers for *NIX and MacOSX on
> sparc, intel and ppc
>    o Inno native (.exe) installer for Windows
> Platforms on intel
>
> So it's very easy to produce a quick product with
> installers for a
> server application that has nice OS integration as a
> daemon or a service
> with a professional look and feel.
>
> Short Comings
> =============
>
> There are several short comings:
>
>    o No Bootstrapper for Tanuki or JavaService (from
> ObjectWeb)
>    o How do we make it work like or in conjunction
> with JPackage?
>    o Better InstallationLayout to comply with proper
> file system layouts
>    o Need installers for
> 	- solaris pkgs
> 	- debian
>    	- simple zip and tarballs
>
> > In current trunk we added support for jscv to be
> able to use
> > commons-daemon to run James as unpriviledged user.
> From Directory's
> > sources I guess you use jscv too, right?
>
> Exactly.  The only difference with what we have is
> we generate
> installers for this same configuration.  The
> installation and
> daemon/service wrapper go hand in hand.
>
> > We also use "Tanuki Software" Wrapper to run as a
> service under windows.
> > I guess we could probably rely on jscv_win and
> installer tools (from
> > plugin folder) to do the same, right?
>
> I suspect you're referring to procrun.  But yes we
> use that and can
> write a Bootstrapper easilly for the Tanuki wrapper.
>  However Procrun
> does a really good job IMO.
>
> > I don't know if I can help in any way, but I'm
> interested in following
> > your action and eventually work on the needed
> steps to create a proposal
> > to have james to use the same installer/daemon
> code. Can you point to
> > the repository where I can look at what you are
> doing?
>
> I have no clue what Ole is up to but it seems to
> involve merging some
> things in JPackage with what we have.
>
> Ole perhaps you can take a deeper look at what this
> does.  Or at least
> give it a try to make installers for some dummy
> server application.  At
> some point you have to dive into the code.  JPackage
> I don't think will
> be the solution; rather I think y0u have to see how
> to generalize this
> installation layout to support the layout formats

=== message truncated ===> begin:vcard
> fn:Alex Karasulu
> n:Karasulu;Alex
> org:Apache Software Foundation;Apache Directory
> adr:;;1005 N. Marsh Wind Way;Ponte Vedra
> ;FL;32082;USA
> email;internet:akarasulu@apache.org
> title:Member, V.P.
> tel;work:(904) 791-2766
> tel;fax:(904) 808-4789
> tel;home:(904) 808-4789
> tel;cell:(904) 315-4901
> note;quoted-printable:AIM: alexokarasulu=0D=0A=
> 	MSN: aok123@bellsouth.net=0D=0A=
> 	Yahoo!: alexkarasulu=0D=0A=
> 	IRC: aok=0D=0A=
> 	PGP ID: 1024D/4E1370F8 BBCC E8D8 8756 2D51 C3D4
> 014A 3662 F96F 4E13 70F8=0D=0A=
>
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> url:http://people.apache.org/~akarasulu
> version:2.1