directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [COLLABORATION] James
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:40:19 GMT
Ole Ersoy ha scritto:
> Hi (Again) Stefano,
>
> I'm almost done with this Maven RPM Factory thing.
> It's going to produce RPMs of all the libraries in the
> entire Maven  Ibiblio Repository, so that both
> ApacheDS and James can be installed with with Yum.
> Once that's done, I need to start looking at the
> Daemon installer for ApacheDS, so that the main server
> RPM installer containing all the package dependencies
> and the Daemon running code can be generated.

Hi Ole,

I don't have any knowledge of the current Directory installer/daemon module.

Unfortunately (imho ;-) ) James still uses ant for its main goals. We
have a working pom.xml but we are only using maven2 for site generation
purpose (e.g: the pom does not use our real dependencies, but tests
passes). We are just moving to modularised build and splitting our
repository/sources into modules but we are sticking to ant-1.7 (even if
I will probably keep the poms updated for this). We don't have james
artifacts under any maven repository.

I just looked at a local source snapshot from some months ago and I see
you have a bootstrappers and a plugin sub-modules. The plugin module
seems mostly Directory agnostic I guess most of that resources could be
directly used in James too.

In current trunk we added support for jscv to be able to use
commons-daemon to run James as unpriviledged user. From Directory's
sources I guess you use jscv too, right?

We also use "Tanuki Software" Wrapper to run as a service under windows.
I guess we could probably rely on jscv_win and installer tools (from
plugin folder) to do the same, right?

I don't know if I can help in any way, but I'm interested in following
your action and eventually work on the needed steps to create a proposal
to have james to use the same installer/daemon code. Can you point to
the repository where I can look at what you are doing?

Thank you for the synergy :-)
Stefano