directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 Migration]
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:16:57 GMT
Hi,

we have had a discussion recently about the path we must follow when
migrating from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 (when this version will be released). Some
tricky points have been raised :

1) Last changes to Attribute(s) have mad impossible to reuse the data stored
in a 1.0.0 ADS. This is my fault, and I think the best thing would be to
revert to the previous names for those classes (it was
LockableAttribute(s)Impl, renamed to Attribute(s)Impl). Of course, I will
also get rid of the added field in Attributes, which is not really critical
(it was added to be compliant with the JNDI interface, to support case
sensitive attributes name, and this is obviously a nonsense in LDAP
context). Last, not least, as those data are serialized, I must be sure that
the serialVersionUID are the same for those serializable classes. This
should do the trick. Did I missed anything ?

2) We have some user who emitted some concern regarding their existing
configuration and data. We should insure that both server.xml and
log4j.properties are not overwritten by the new one. This also include
schemas, and of course, data. I'm pretty confident that we could have a new
installer handling such burdens, but what we need is a volunteer to modify
it and tro check that it works well... Shemas migration could be trickier...
Any volunteer ?

3) Another idea would be to first export all the dataz from the current
1.0.0 install, and reimport them into the new 1.0.1 install. Guess how long
it could take with millions of entries ... However, do we have any user with
more than a few thousands entries ?

4) At this point, it would be good to know about real users, to be sure that
they are not impacted during migration process, and that we can dedicate
some time to support them. Even better if some of the courageous ('First
Mover Advantage') users can be alpha-testers ... wdyt?

5) It would be really great if we can coordinate a release with a newer
version of the site and of the doco. I must admit that Doco has been really
improved since 1.0.0, but the site still suX (tm). Any volunteer?

We are now not so far from this 1.0.1, with some nasty bugs remaining
(referrals, collective attributes, and a few others), so the migration
process should be addressed as soon as possible.

Any advice/idea/criticism/mockery welcomed (well, mockery, not so sure ;)
--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny