directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon EU 2007 CFP
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:15:36 GMT
Well, when I read your proposals for ApacheCon EU, I was just asking myself
if it was fair to push materials without having asked any other project
committers about them. You didn't bothered *at all* that somebody else from
Directory could have also pushed very similar proposals, making us feel very
unconfortable.

This drove me to these points :
1) Is ApacheCon a commercial show, where anybody can talk about anything
just to advertize himself or his company? I thought it was exactly the
opposite : expose the Apache project to the world, as some piece of software
endorsed by Apache committers.  This is all about Apache.

2) Ok, I must admit that your proposal could not have been submitted by
anyone but you, but just because no one except you knows anything about
kerberos and other almost sandboxed/dead subprojects. There have been almost
_no_ activity on this projects last year (barely one commit...) and the
source is in a state that is not really in the state of the art (no test
cases, no javadoc, etc). Would it be me only, these projects would have been
sandboxed back in september, instead of what I spent hours to update all the
headers to reflect the new Apache licence.

3) This lead me to the point where I really think that Alex is right. This
Directory server community has greatly increased lately, with 6 new very
active comitters (Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot, Stefan Seelmann, Christine
Koppelt, David Jencks, Ole Ersoy, Norval Hope - sorry for those I forgot to
mention - ). This is really good because no part of the server is totally
left in the hand of only one committer. Except your part. We have spent a
huge amount of time, Alex, Ersin, Trustin and I to support them, drive them
through the Apache Directory Server maze, and I must say that it's really a
success. Now, none of them as expressed interest in the Kerberos part, but
we weren't able to push the subject, because we don't have any knowledge
about it. You were suppose to be the one to do that, but you were totally
MIA last year. I don't think this is the best way to support a project.

4) Ok, life can be sometime difficult, with lot of work, lot of things to
cope with, but at least, it would have been polite to tell us "I may submit
some proposals, wdyt?" instead of pushing them straight. We are really
suppose to be a community. We can support any of us, we can even help if
needed, but we can only do that if we are asked to.

Well, I must say that I'm not very pleased with this situation. Sorry if you
fell like my words are offending, they are not supposed to be (but my
english is pretty rude and limited), I just wanted to stress out the fact
that we should behave as a group, not as individuals. This is what I think
Apache is all about. I really think that those kerberos things are important
to us, but, please, try or do your best to share informations with the group
before they get out of it.

Emmanuel

--
Cordialement,