directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Triplesec]Ecore Model
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:09:20 GMT
Ole,

I'm a bit behind the times with this stuff.  Could you give me a lay
person's description of what this ecore model is?  Right now it sounds like
meta data for generating SDOs that persistent data objects.  Please correct
me if I am wrong.

Also I have some questions:

(1) Can we use an ecore model to generate SDOs for LDAP?

(2) Can we (in LDAP Studio an RCP application) read an LDAP schema and
generate SDOs and/or simple beans for the objectClasses defined in that LDAP
schema?

<note>
There will be 2 forms of schema data:
   (a) Schema data in the OpenLDAP format within an LDAP schema file
         which does not include complex constructs like DITStructureRules,
         DITContentRules, Syntaxes, MatchingRules and NameForms.  OpenLDAP
         schema files usually just have objectClass and attributeType
definitions.
   (b) Schema data pulled from an LDAP server which includes all the schema
types.
         Why is this important?  Well these extra objects determine things
like what
         attributes can be used in a relative name for example and can
effect the DSO
         that needs to be generated.
</note>

Why am I thinking about all this stuff?
=======================

Many of us I am sure envision LDAP Studio to become more than just an LDAP
browser with a pretty LDAP schema editor.  I see it as a platform to easy
the development of LDAP driven applications and as an administrative tool to
manage directories.  Something tells me this ecore/ems stuff is very
advantageous to assist in making LS a sweet LDAP design tool.

I've had a personal pie in the sky dream WRT all this stuff.  I've always
wanted a slick LDAP schema design tool that allows a user to graphically
design LDAP schema like we do for RDBMS schema using UML modeling tools.  In
addition to generating/pushing the schema directly into an LDAP server I'd
like to see LS capable of generating code as these DSOs for example for the
LDAP schema.

Can you see how incredible this would be for users to launch LS, design
their schema and press a button to generate a library that contains all the
DSOs they need to directory enable their applications?

(3) Can we achieve this vision with these eclipse modeling tools within LDAP
Studio?

It seems to me you have the know how to determine first if this is at all
possible.  Secondly, I am hoping if this is possible you can and others on
this team can figure out a means for us to materialize the vision.

There is nothing like this as far as I know.  The closest thing I ever saw
was a facility M$ added to visio after buying it to draw Active Directory
diagrams.  However according to my knowledge (about 2 years ago) these
diagrams could not generate schema or any kind of library for use in
applications.

So the potential for a tool like this IMO is massive.  It could finally make
developers comfortable enough to avoid forcing data into relational
databases and instead put them where they belong in LDAP directories.

Regards,
Alex