directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Triplesec] Permissions, Roles and Groups
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 00:39:21 GMT

On Jan 25, 2007, at 4:20 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Ole Ersoy a écrit :
>
>> OK - So if we have aggregate roles / hierarchical
>> roles, we can elliminate the concept of groups.
>>
>> Groovy.
>>

> AFAIK, groups are very cool to have if you deal with more than one
> application. Roles will be Application related, and groups will be
> more Users related.
>
> Those two elements are pretty close, but their semantics are
> different, if I understand.

OK, so I was hoping to delay getting into this additional issue.....

Would you agree that if there's only one "application" then groups +
role <> group assigment is equivalent to the direct user<>role
association I was talking about although looked at from the opposite
direction?

For jacc we need some kind of idea of groups of applications.  I
implemented this by allowing multiple appName=foo,appName=bar,.... in
dns, in sandbox/triplesec-jacc2.  You can have any level of nesting
you want, but for jacc you need 2 levels  (application and context
within the app).  I can see having groups of applications you want to
administer at once, for instance a portal app together with a bunch
of portlet apps deployed on the portal.  So I can see a use for 3
levels.

So what I was actually thinking of is that within a group of
applications you'd want all the role names to be the same.  The
permissions would still be associated with a particular "leaf"
application (context for my jacc example) but you'd expect to have
the same role names within each sub-applications.  Then you'd have
the user <> role association at the level of the group of
applications that you wanted to deal with together.

There might still be some difference.... I'm not sure.

thanks
david jencks