directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [TRIPLESEC] JACC context id in an application
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 06:04:23 GMT

On Jan 8, 2007, at 12:53 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> Alex explained to me that for various legal scenarios its very
>> desirable to have triplesec guardian bind to a single application
>> and use ldap security to prevent it seeing anything outside that
>> application.  On the other hand jacc requires you to deal with a
>> set of application components, called policy contexts, within a
>> single application.  My original idea was to say application ==
>> policy context, but this requires triplesec to have access to the
>> entire realm in ldap, which includes the users, so that won't work.
>> So, currently the dn structure is hardcoded to be
>> appName=foo,ou=applications,<realm dn>
>> with profiles, permissions, roles, etc right below this rdn.  In
>> particular there's code all over the place to take "foo" and turn
>> it into "appName=foo,ou=applications".
>> I think we can simplify the code a bit, satisfy the "log into a
>> single application", and make the jacc stuff work by generalizing
>> this rdn.  As far as existing code goes I want to pass in a rdn
>> string wherever the rdn is currently constructed (e.g. as above
>> from "foo").  This will let people set up the same kind of
>> structure as they do now if desired, or for jacc introduce another
>> level
>> contextID=myWar,appName=foo,ou=applications,....
>> and perhaps for other purposes add even more levels.
>> Of course there may well be reasons this won't work, and in
>> particular I haven't tried to figure out yet if more or different
>> objectClasses are needed.  Any comments would be more than welcome.
>

> David I'm still trying to understand what you mean.  So you want to
> create different policy contexts (JACC jargon) underneath an
> application?  What would be contained under these contexts?

we're playing tag here.... I just committed this stuff.

Basically the idea is to make the concept of applications
hierarchical, so you can run triplesec the way it is now with one layer:

appName=myApp, ou=applications,....

or for jacc with sub-applications:

appName=myWar,appName=myApp,ou=applications,...

or for some purpose I haven't thought of yet

appName=mySubSubThingy,appName=mySubThingy,appName=myWar,appName=myApp,a
ppName=myAppCollection,ou=applications,....

The main change is that generally instead of supplying "myApp" you
supply the name segment that identifies your app, such as the strings
shown above.  I had to change the PolicyProtectionInterceptor to let
me do this, and I think I found a problem in the aci list
maintenance, see DIRTSEC-3.

I tested the new code with the original server.ldif and everything
worked, then changed it to have 2 levels and fixed the resulting
bugs.... haven't checked that the original 1 level still works but I
can't see why it wouldn't.  Checking that would require further
parameterization of the integration tests.

thanks
david jencks