directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [TRIPLESEC] JACC context id in an application
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:39:08 GMT

On Jan 10, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:

>>> Yeah I just saw it now.  I got online late this weekend and just
>>> saw your email.  I read it and let it sit a while in my head.

>>> Yeah this is odd to me.  I'm trying to understand how this fits
>>> with the way Tsec was intended to operate as well as JACC.  I
>>> guess I need a little more time to think about it.
>> The thing with jacc is you need not only applications
>> corresponding to e.g. ears but also sub-applications corresponding
>> to e.g. wars and ejb-jars inside the ear.  You want to be able to
>> (bind? login?) to the entire application so you can see all its
>> parts at once, so it wouldn't be so good to just use the contextId
>> (which is a unique identifier) as the appname since then you'd
>> need to log into each contextId separately.
>
> According to JEE and JACC a context Id exists for each war right?

Yes, exactly.

>>> Yeah I just don't understand the utility of this and what the
>>> impact is in terms of structure and permission evaluation.  Are
>>> for example permissions in the top application inherited by the
>>> children and further down descendants?
>> ahh, maybe more constraints are in order.  My idea is a tsec
>> installation would decide "I'm going to have a 2 level app
>> hierarchy" so the only things that can have permissions, roles,
>> etc are the ones like
>> appName=myWar,appName=myApp.
>> In such an installation you would never have permissions, roles,
>> etc directly under appName=myApp.
>> To get the old behavior you'd specify 1 level.
>
> Would it make sense to have permissions global to the entire app or
> would each war need it's own permissions.  Meaning is permission
> scope wrt the web app?

JACC thinks that permissions go with the contextID, i.e. the war.  I
can't really make anything else make sense in my feeble mind :-).  If
we stick with this, the change I made/am proposing basically means
you can bind/log in to a group of applications rather than just a
single application, but you still administer each application
(contextID) individually just like before.

hope this is a little clearer.... maybe that phone call is due :-)

thanks
david jencks