directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject [TRIPLESEC] JACC context id in an application
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 23:00:21 GMT
Alex explained to me that for various legal scenarios its very
desirable to have triplesec guardian bind to a single application and
use ldap security to prevent it seeing anything outside that
application.  On the other hand jacc requires you to deal with a set
of application components, called policy contexts, within a single
application.  My original idea was to say application == policy
context, but this requires triplesec to have access to the entire
realm in ldap, which includes the users, so that won't work.

So, currently the dn structure is hardcoded to be

appName=foo,ou=applications,<realm dn>

with profiles, permissions, roles, etc right below this rdn.  In
particular there's code all over the place to take "foo" and turn it
into "appName=foo,ou=applications".

I think we can simplify the code a bit, satisfy the "log into a
single application", and make the jacc stuff work by generalizing
this rdn.  As far as existing code goes I want to pass in a rdn
string wherever the rdn is currently constructed (e.g. as above from
"foo").  This will let people set up the same kind of structure as
they do now if desired, or for jacc introduce another level

contextID=myWar,appName=foo,ou=applications,....

and perhaps for other purposes add even more levels.

Of course there may well be reasons this won't work, and in
particular I haven't tried to figure out yet if more or different
objectClasses are needed.  Any comments would be more than welcome.

many thanks
david jencks