directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Reducing the complexity/verbosity of default server.xml (and custom configuration files)
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:02:42 GMT

On Jan 9, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Well, my position is a little bit different. Sure, too much XML suX
> (ml), but the problem is not that the configuration is huge, it's
> that we currently don't have tools to manage that (tools = GUI).

I think relying on tools to deal with unnecessary complexity is a
pretty bad idea.  Look at jax-rpc for j2ee :-) -- it's IMO totally
unusable and incomprehensible because the xml is so awful.

> But with LdapStudio, I think we might have an acceptable solution :
> - users who like to click will use it

having tools is definitely good
> - users who prefer vi and long text file will favor xml files :)

bad xml will drive everyone away, as-simple-as-possible xml will let
everyone understand what is going on.

> However, there are so much things in the server.xml file which
> could be defaulted, that it might be a good idea to spend some time
> on this subject. I don't really see the point of having all the
> intercptors exhibited here. Maybe we can default those guys...

defaults are good....

We need some kind of xml, so I think devoting a reasonable effort to
making it really clear, simple, and expressive is a good idea.  I
haven't used it myself but the xbean stuff sounds really good from
what I've heard.

thanks
david jencks